Pokémon is one of those Nintendo classics that can be played on PC following the right steps. Also, given the graphical simplicity of Pokémon titles, any Windows PC will be able to process the game without any problem, so the experience will be almost identical to playing on a Nintendo console. On the plus side, it’s also worth noting that it’s totally free, which will be a joy for some.
Although Nintendo preserves the exclusivity of Pokémon only for its own consoles, the truth is that PC users have it very easy to skip this exclusivity. It is as simple as using Nintendo emulators for PC. Depending on the Pokémon title you want to play, you will have to download a different emulator, to suit the console for which it was designed.
How to play Pokémon on PC – Best Nintendo emulators for PC
As you might imagine, the older the console, the simpler it is to emulate. While Nintendo GBA emulators go flawlessly, the Nintendo Switch emulator has various issues, and is not as accessible in terms of requirements for all PCs. Luckily, and as we have already mentioned, Pokémon games do not usually stand out for their graphic part, so in this case we will be able to emulate any Pokémon game.
The first thing is to install the emulator you need for the Pokémon game you want to play (If not Google the title of the game and look at the cover, to know which console it belongs to.
- Nintendo GBA emulator – VisualBoyAdvance for PC
- Nintendo 3DS emulator – Citra for PC
- Nintendo GameCube / Wii emulator – Dolphin for PC
- Nintendo Switch emulator – Yuzu for PC
You’ll find more information about each of the emulators in the links we’ve left for you, including how to install the games on the emulator. In all cases, you will need to find the ROM or XCi file of the game in question, and insert it in the folder where the emulator stores the games.
Pokémon FanMade games for PC, the great alternative
Although we can emulate any Pokémon game from PC with the appropriate emulator, as we have already shown you, a highly recommended alternative is to try some of the best Pokémon FanMade games. In this case, our recommendation includes two titles that are “must-play” for every big Pokémon fan:
- Download Pokémon Uranium: With over 150 new Pokémon, a new tropical region to explore, neat graphics, and many more new features, the Uranium edition is the most popular (and complete) Pokémon fan made game to date.
- Download Pokémon Iberia: A game completely focused on humor and parody of Spanish society, but maintaining the essence of capturing Pokémon and overcoming the different gyms. Although it’s a much less serious game than Uranium, it’s quite a delight for those who enjoy humor (and I think it would be the first time someone reads the Pokémon dialogues with interest, since almost any dialogue has some joke in one form or another.
Both are undoubtedly great options, as they allow us to enjoy a new Pokémon experience while maintaining the essence of the original games. If you’re looking to explore a new region and discover all the new features and cities that await you on your way, these two fan made editions are options to take very much into account.
Best Pokémon games by consoles
There are numerous editions of Pokémon that can be emulated from PC easily (not to say all), so we leave you with some of what are considered to be the best Pokémon games to date. Thus, by focusing on choosing the best titles, you’ll be able to save playing time on some edition that you don’t end up liking so much. Keep in mind that the older the console that corresponds to an edition of Pokémon, the fewer requirements our PC will need to be able to play it correctly.
These are some of the most recommended Pokémon games for PC (using an emulator):
- Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal – Nintendo DS: Considered by many 3 of the most powerful titles of the saga, both for the new features they included, as for the overall quality of the final product. If you don’t know which Pokémon game to start with, any of these 3 will be a good choice (maybe the Crystal edition is a little better than Gold and Silver, but for obvious reasons)
- Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver – Nintendo DS: These are the official remakes of the 3 games mentioned above, with new improvements and the inclusion of the story part that was only available in Pokémon Crystal. Therefore, and being improved versions of the 3 games considered the best, HeartGold and SoulSilver are arguably at the top of the Pokémon game ranking.
- Pokémon Crystal.
- Pokémon Black and White (1 and 2) – Nintendo DS
- Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby – Nintendo 3DS – Powerful remakes of the older Sapphire and Ruby, with new features such as mega-evolutions.
- Pokémon X and Y
- Pokémon Emerald